Sunday 13 November 2011

London: Liberty



I was in London last week on a quick business trip and couldn’t resist the chance to get a few hours of shopping under my belt.


I absolutely love the cosmopolitan nature of London and the glamorous shops throughout the city.  Each time I’ve been to London I’ve made time to visit Harrods, the world famous department store.
On this particular visit I was staying in West London on Regent street.  When I told my driver how excited I was to go back to Harrods and Top Shop in Knightsbridge, he asked if I’d been to ‘Liberty’ yet.   Not only had I never been there, but I’d never heard of this store before. He asked me a bit more about my favorite spots in London and after a quick conversation he was convinced I’d love Liberty.  It was only a few blocks over and he strongly suggested I start my afternoon off there instead.  The local’s know best right?  Off to Liberty.


 I’m so glad I made the decision to go to Liberty instead.  For starters, the exterior of the store is stunning. Constructed on Regent Street in West London the store was built over 100 years ago using the timber of two ships.  Inside the building, winding staircases and five floors  beautifully display the collections. Best of all, the store is anything but cluttered or busy (Harrods on the other hand is like being at Grand Central Station during rush hour). Liberty’s collections range from very expensive designer pieces (Alexander McQueen, Stella McCartney etc.) to fashionable & affordable brands (Heidi Klum’s new swimwear line).  More than simply another women’s clothing store, most of the floors in Liberty are actually dedicated anything but clothing.  Unique stationary, fabrics, fragrances, china, exclusive coffee table books (I could go on forever).  

 
For any ‘fashionista’  visiting London I’d definitely suggest checking out this store.  Harrods is a fantastic tourist spot, but the only thing most people can afford from this UK hotspot are items from the gift shop.  If you want to get someone an authentic, chic souvenir from London, I think they’ll surely appreciate something from Liberty much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment